Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Harriet's Reflections on the IWW CONVENTION

So the IWW Convention is over, it's been a week or more, and I have spent some time reflecting.

Coordinating childcare for this event has really helped to revitalize my hope for our collective, for Baltimore 'radicals' and for the world (okay may that's over stating it).

I think doing Kidz City work I've gotten comfortable with the role of someone who has to push to be heard, who has to shout to be considered. I went into organizing with Baltimore IWW folks defensively, ready to be disapointed. Well I was not disappointed, I had such a great time, and developed a deeper repsect for all the people in the IWW branch and for the IWW in general.

Visiting delegates were also on the whole lovely people, many of them came and said "thank you for your work" to the childcare volunteers. There was a lot of respect for the 'work' that each person did. And it seemed that care work was just as appreciated by the people that I had the pleasure of speaking with.

We also had new volunteers join us for the first time labor day weekend, and they were amazing. I can't wait to continue working with them, and learning more about them.

The coloring book I make was just a blast to research, draw, paste up and copy (many hours at Kinkos). There are still copies available if anyone wants one.

Kidz City has other activities coming up very soon. It seems like the organizing with DIY Fest has been going really well, and the kids program looks amazing.

If you want to be on our e-mail list to volunteer or recieve updates please e-mail radkidcare-at-gmail.com.

In solidarity and love,

Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment